10 Facts about Berri SA
12th August 2019
Berri is located on the banks of the Murray River and is a must for your bucket-list! With plenty to see and do all year-round, why not explore your back door step in the Riverland? We’ve listed some fast facts to give you some background information on the town and surrounds!
- The town of Berri takes its name from the local Aboriginal tribe ‘bery bery’ meaning bend in the river.
- Berri is surrounded by 3000 hectares of irrigated vineyards and orchards. This makes Berri host to some of the largest wine production facilities in Australia. We highly recommend visiting Berri Estates Winery during your stay with us!
Photo via (IG) @berrihotel
- Berri is home to beautiful public artwork, like the Riverland Vietnam and Post WWII veteran’s war memorial, the Aboriginal dreamtime mural underneath the Berri bridge and Jimmy James Memorial on the riverfront.
- There are a number of walks available within the Berri area. The most popular being the 2km riverfront walking from Berri ending at the Martin Bend Reserve where you can sit back and relax.
Photo via (IG) @gregspencer18
- In the era after World War II, it become associated with the huge Berri wine and orange juice factory, which produces a significant proportion of the country’s orange juice.
- In the warmer months you can soak up the Australian landscape by canoeing in Berri’s nearby creeks and backwaters. Canoe Adventures Riverland offers kayak and canoe hire and guided tours.
Photo via (IG) @canoeadventureriverland
- If you’re up for adventure, Loveday 4×4 Adventure Park offers a four wheel drive experience like you’ve never seen before. If you’ve got your own vehicle, you can explore the private property’s 8000 acres of terrain and 14kms of riverfront.
- The Berri Bridge opened in 1997 and is the largest of its type in South Australia. Spanning the Murray River between Berri and Loxton it makes the trip less than 30 minutes long!
Photo via (IG) @bobbydingo_
- Berri has a Lookout Tower located on the corner of Vaughan Terrace and Fielder Street, this old water tower is now used as a lookout point. Offering high and excellent panoramic views over the Murray River!
- Berri is home to the iconic Malleee Fowl Restaurant, offering a unique Australian dining experience, set in 24 acres of bushland with its own quondong plantation.
Where to stay? Stay with us in the heart of Berri at:
- Big River Golf & Country Club: Conveniently located along the Old Sturt Highway, offering motel-style accommodation set amongst the lush greens of the Berri Golf Course. With a comfortable 30 rooms, your stay is sure to be nothing less than enjoyable! Book Now.
- Berri Hotel: Offering quality accommodation, superbly located on the banks of the Murray River, in the heart of South Australia’s scenic Riverland region. Boasting panoramic views, the hotel offers a variety of budget, standard, hotel, family and deluxe rooms. Book Now.
Header Image via Canoe Adventures
Photographer: Karen Werner